Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Fashion Recycling!

A couple years back I came across a beaded bracelet in an 1857 edition Of Peterson's Magazine, for once the period instructions were actually useful - not the typical, "any lady can make this design by studying the image". Still it took a bit of looking to find rings and of the proper size, but eventually, I worked it out and ended up with a perfectly fitting bracelet.

I taught a workshop at the Ladies & Gentlemen of the 1860's conference; it was based on this design:





I wear it for everyday, as well as living history events and most people are amazed when I tell them the design is 150 years old - they all are convinced it is modern.

Recently I found an interesting site, Craft Stylish, and while browsing around found instructions for this bracelet:

Exact same concept, just without the beads! (Of course, I think beads make everything better)

I do have a booklet with instructions for the period bracelet and several other ring crochet projects available in my Etsy shop.

The cliche is true - everything old is new again!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, what a cool throwback! I love the style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I knew you in '06 when I had my black and white wedding--so hard to find black bridal jewelry! That bracelet is a great design in any era. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Kelly! This really looks wonderful - had already noticed it in your Etsy shop... Very tempting. I also loved your beaded ACEO for the Thusday Sweet Treat and your poem... I also wanted to let you know I have picked your blog for an “honest scrap award”. You can find the details on my blog: http://lebarduvent.blogspot.com/2009/03/honest-scrap-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love the idea of making things from old patterns! This is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete