Thursday, April 2, 2009

Dragonfly Waltz


This is my submission for this week's Thursday Sweet Treat challenge "The Joy Of Dance"

This piece allowed me to combine many of my interests, including the observation of nature, an avocation shared by the Victorian and Edwardian ladies whose daily life I love to study and strive to recreate, and beads, of course.

Hair ornaments "en tremblant" or tremblers were extremely popular from the 1850's through the Edwardian period, especially when dancing, as they would gently flutter and catch the light as milady moved.

Picture the scene: An elegant lady, in full evening dress with up swept hair, held in the arms of a dashing gentleman; they waltz round the ballroom and moving with them, an equally elegant dragonfly in perfect time with the music.

Well, a girl can always dream....

8 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! I love it. Very nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an awesome blog you have...
    and we love your jewels..
    mona & the girls

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty. I love the colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have to know I LOVE my little dragonflies that you made!!! They are now ready to go to a summer bonnet!

    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Colleen!
    This guy is huge compared to your little dainties - he has a four inch wingspan.

    ReplyDelete