Friday, November 23, 2012

Tri-Level


"Tri-Level" is my entry for the November Art Bead Scene challenge.... and it most definitely was a challenge!

Here's the inspiration image:


It's "Three Worlds", 1955 by M C Escher; "Three Worlds" depicts a large pool or lake during the autumn or winter months, the title referring to the three visible perspectives in the picture: the surface of the water on which leaves float, the world above the surface, observable by the water's reflection of the forest, and the world below the surface, observable in the large fish swimming just below the water's surface.

For me, the biggest challenge this month was the lack of color, for me, neutrals are just a necessary evil that I need to use to make my beloved colors pop.

I used three of my own images that fit the theme, taken as part of a photography challenge years ago, to create three pendents. I transferred portions of the images onto silk fabric, attached the fabric to thin metal and then finished the edges with beaded bezels, all in shades of grey and black.

I decided to join the pendents into one, large, over-sized pendent and mounted it on a simple Italian mesh base.


This is very different from my usual approach, very modern and stark, but I'm very pleased with the pendent technique - I'm sure I'll be using it more in the future.


Available for purchase here.

2 comments:

  1. What a breathtaking and personal piece. Loved that you are highlighting your own art and kept the rest of the design minimal so we just focus on that gorgeous pendant!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That just blows me away! I think that your process is so incredible and then to see the finished result. All I can say is thank you for taking up the challenge and inspiring us all! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete